1. Delhi – must do’s, must see’s (NCR)
buy travel book: "Iwanowsky - Delhi, Agra, Rajasthan"
- Majnu Ka Tila (tibetan market)
- Red Fort (Agra one is better though)
- Old Delhi – old district in North, Chandni Chowk, heart of the ‘real Dilli’ + Gurudwara (Sikh temple)
- Connaught Place – nothing much but big attraction.
- Dilli Haat – Market (INA) goods and food from all Indian states.
- Qtub Minar (archeological complex)
- Lodhi Garden (tombs of former moghol rulers of Northern part of India)
- Nizamuddin Dargah (On Wednesdays around 7pm Sufi music is played).
- For restaurants, bars Optional:
- Khan Market
- Haus Khas area for bars and restaurants too. (avoid Haus Khas Village, Aurobindo Market is better)
- GK1 (Greater Kailash 1) - the 3 of them are located in South Delhi.
2. Agra (U.P)
- One day-trip is enough. Go to Taj Mahal and Fatehpur Sikri (ghost town 40 kms around Agra).
3. Varanasi (Benaras) (U.P)
- Two days to be spent there. Take a train to go to Varanasi from Delhi (10-12hours) Burning ceremonies.
4. Khajuraho (U.P)
- Kama-sutra temples. UNESCO heritage. Super worth it. You can take a bus/cab directly from Varanasi. One day to be spent there. You can combine with Orchha.
- many palasts from the Mogul time and old maharajas.
- Biggest state in India (with U.P) You can cover a couple of cities there, not too far Jaipur (Pink city – see many palasts), Jodhpur, Udaipur is enough. Jaisalmer is super worth it but way too far
- Biggest Sikh temple. You can fly out and in from Delhi. One day is enough.
7. The Hills. Best season to go is June, July. No excuse.
- Kasol – Manikaran. From there trek to Kheerganga (around 4 hours) Tosh is nice too.
- DHARAMSALA – MC LEOD GANJ. Must. Do. Tibetan culture is quite big there.
8. Mumbai - must do’s, must see’s – 2-3 days
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus
- Marine Drive
- Ajanta Caves (MUST MUST DO)
- Colaba Causeway
- Dhobi Ghat
- Jehangir Gallery
- Where to go out: Todi Mills, Bandra (W) and Colaba – Madras Café
- Small village with loads and loads of temples.
- Nice part of South and diverse landscapes. Beach (you can swim though), Tea gardens, Backwaters.
11. Tamil Nadu
- Put Chennai on your itinerary as it is Northern Tamil Nadu
- Delhi- Rajdhani Restaurant – Rajasthani Restaurant (Near Connaught Place)
- Agra – Jonnhy’s – go there and order their Korma and mango juice
- Dharamsala – Tibetan Bakery. Best cakes ever.
Suggestions of a schedule
- Delhi 2 days
- Agra 1 day
- Varanasi 2 days
- Khajuraho + Orchha 2 days
- Rajasthan: Jaipur- Jodhpur: 3 days – Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur: 4,5 days.
- Amristar: 1 day
- The hills: 3 days (4-5 days) – depending on where you go
- Mumbai 2-3 days (one entire afternoon is needed for Ajanta Caves)
- Goa: 2 days (North)
- Hampi: 2 days
- Kochi – Munnar (tea gardens) – Alleppey (backwaters) 4 days
Chennai - really cool. You can go there on your way to Kochi.
Kolkata is awesome too but on the other side of the country. You could spend some 2,3 days there.
- Pushkar– MUST SEE - only Brahma temple in India with nice lake in the middle of the city. Many tourists go shopping and have it sent directly to Europe. Many parcel packing stations.
- from Goa to Gokarn
- Hampi - old temple town with exotic landscapes and rock formations
Special thanks to Erika and Sita. As always, the copyrights to the information goes to them :)